Thursday, May 10, 2018

God of Darkness

SCRIPTURE:
"He made darkness his covering, his canopy around him, thick clouds dark with water...He sent from on high, he took me, he drew me out of many waters. He rescued me from my strong enemy and from those who hated me, for they were too mighty for me...He brought me out into a broad place, he rescued me, because he delighted in me."
Excerpt of Psalm 18:1-19

THOUGHTS:

Maybe that's a stretch for you? Maybe you've never heard it put that way before? But God is the God of darkness.

   God uses all things for his glory - even the darkness.  He moves in dark places. He transforms the darkness. In fact, the darkness is the very place he's seeking to rescue.
   The God of the universe steps down into my darkness, into yours - into the mess of our lives. He does not run from it, but instead runs to it.  And it is there in the darkness that we find him.
   It is there in our darkness that he becomes our Strength, our Rock, our Fortress, our Deliverer, our Shield and our Salvation.
   It is in our darkness that he thunders and utters his voice on our behalf.  He spoke light and life out of darkness at the beginning, creating a world for us.  This Psalm proclaims the truth that he values us so much that he is willing to deconstruct that creation to get to us...he takes the things he has created and reorders them for our sake.  He commands waters to split, mountains to crumble, skies to part to create space for you, for me.
   This God of darkness moves the heavens and earths for me.  He rules and reigns in the darkness of our lives. He brings us out from what is closing in, from what is crushing and puts us into a wide, open, sacred space. Simply because he delights in us. He delights in you. He delights in me.
 
ACTION:

May we be a people who allow the God of darkness to deconstruct our brokenness, to enter our abysses and to speak love and light into our depths.

No comments:

Post a Comment