Saturday, February 21, 2015

Once For All - Saturday - February 21, 2015

SCRIPTURE READING:

     I Peter 3:18-22
"For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to G-d. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit, through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison who disobeyed long ago when G-d waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also--not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward G-d. It saves  you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who has gone into heaven and is at God's right hand--which angels, authorities and powers in submission to him." 

THOUGHTS:

      Maybe we should start with re-reading that text? WOW! There's so much and often times this text is just set aside by teachers/preachers because it's implications are too great or too scary.  But hey, I told you that you'd eventually say, Shut up, Sharon! So here goes:
     "For Christ died for sins ONCE for ALL" -- it's done.  The love of G-d, the forgiveness, the grace poured out on a cross more than 2000 years ago for all.  For Jews, for Gentiles, for black, for white, for Muslims, for Hindus, for gay, for straight, for young, for old...for ALL! There is are no boundaries in the love of G-d.  His death and resurrection brought life for all.
     If that's not interesting enough "he went and preached to the spirits in prison who disobeyed long ago..." That forgiveness and love wasn't just for those alive at the time of Christ and for those beyond that, but it was also for those before him.  He opened the flood gates of his mercy and grace. Christ traveled into the abyss, into the place where all was seemingly lost, and he spoke life.  He spoke good news. He spoke love to those who had come before him.  He really meant for ALL and to show it he traveled into darkness to bring light!
     What a challenge for us today! We often times are not willing to allow our believe and our behave to match up on this.  Christ died for all and yet we behave as if we have something exclusive.  There is nothing exclusive about the love of G-d.  Nothing.  It is humanity who places boundaries and builds walls. G-d tears down walls, who busts through even the most daunting of boundaries.  Even the people that were destroyed in the flood were given access to this love. There was space for redemption for them both in the days of Noah building ark and thousands of years later when Christ reached into their death and brought life.  G-d's love set captives free!!!
   
     We are exclusive. We are stingy with the love of G-d. Sometimes so stingy we don't even truly give it to ourselves.  We hold it close enough to claim it, but not close enough to free us! And we definitely have a hard time giving it freely to others.

You call me out upon the waters, the great unknown where feet may fail. And there I find you in the mystery, In oceans deep my faith will stand.  Your grace abounds in deepest waters, Your sovereign hand will be my guide, where feet may fail and fear surrounds me, you've never failed and you won't start now. I will call upon your name and keep my eyes above the waves. When oceans rise, my soul will rest in your embrace for I am yours and you are mine.  Spirit lead me were my trust is without borders, let me walk upon the waters, wherever you would call me. Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander and my faith will be made stronger, in the presence of my Savior. (Oceans - Hillsong United) 

ACTION:

     Lord, I want to be like you.  Make my love once for all.  Make my life once for all.  Make my actions once for all.  Cleanse me of my exclusiveness and mold me to your inclusive Spirit.  Tear down walls within my heart today that I have built toward others.  Reach into the depths of my darkness and bring light.  Lord, reach into the abyss that I have created and help me to free those whom I have placed there - those who I have cut off from my love.  G-d, I repent of my selfishness and exclusiveness and I cry out to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment