Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Sex might not sell anymore...

Or at least nudity doesn't...

This logo is as recognizable as the Nike Swoosh or the Apple bitten apple. Which is ironic, since for 62 years Playboy has been often times a forbidden fruit that screams "just do it."

The Headline is "Nudes are Old News at Playboy." 

With his very first issue, Hugh Hefner revolutionized the magazine world and started an empire of Bunnies appealing to men everywhere and based on the idea that sex sells.  My brother had his stash hidden, except by his day Penthouse and Hustler had far exceeded anything Playboy had to offer. 

So take the time to read this NYTimes article.  

Something has shifted.  
Something had changed. 
Our culture.

Playboy hasn't changed the heart of who they are. Our culture has changed and Playboy has figured out that to stay alive in this shifting world maybe their approach needs to be re-signed or re-framed. Their message,  while remaining the same,  needs to be re-imagined and re-contextualized in order to remain one of the most recognizable brands in the world. 

So here's my question: if Playboy can read the culture and mold itself for viability and sustainability around its original message, why can't the Church figure this out? 

Nudity is all over and it's freely given.  Playboy shifting to no more nudity and returning to who they were,  a return to their story...it's a genius move.

Are we as a Church returning to our story? Our we willing to re-sign, reframe ourselves to the original message - one of hope, one of grace, one of unconditional love? Because I'm telling  you what - judgement and condemnation is all over and it's freely given and it's not the banner Christ followers were ever meant to carry. 

The "logo" of the cross is more powerful than any Bunny, Swoosh, or fruit. But have we let it mean something it was never meant to mean? Have we forgotten that "for God so LOVED the world"? Are we willing to let the Gospel message become what it needs to, to mold itself for viability and sustainability in our world? 

The words of Paul come to my mind: 
"Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings."    (I Corinthians 9:19-23)
Turns out nudity after all these years isn't selling for Playboy. It had its time and only time will tell if this re-signing will prosper. But I'm sure they are onto something. 

Maybe we can learn something from Playboy???

No comments:

Post a Comment