Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Upside-Down Kingdom - Wednesday, March 4, 2015

SCRIPTURE READING:

     I Corinthians 1:18-25
"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of G-d. For it is written: 'I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.' Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not G-d made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of G-d the world through its wisdom did not know him. G-d was pleased through the foolishness of the what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom G-d has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of G-d and the wisdom of G-d.  For the foolishness of G-d is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of G-d is stronger than man's strength." 
THOUGHTS:

      What a confusing piece of text! Sometimes I wonder why the authors of scripture wrote so crazy.  However, I'm not sure in the original language and the nuances of it that it was so complex for the original hearers to get.  Our wisdom no matter how wise it is does not compare to the wisdom of G-d.  G-d operates in an upside-down Kingdom.  It's not upside-down to him.  It's upside-down to us.  We don't get it because it's not what we would think should happen or it doesn't seem to be the human way.  Peter had this problem when he rebuked Jesus. Jesus spoke clearly about his death and resurrection and Peter in his wisdom thought Jesus to be foolish.  Judas did it when he turned over Christ to force the political uprising that he desired.
     Living in the Kingdom of G-d means that everything that we know to be true might not be.  Living in the Kingdom of G-d means that all the things that we think are wise might not be.  Living in the Kingdom of G-d means that even at our strongest of moments we might not be as strong as we think.  This is an upside-down Kingdom.  If it wasn't, it would just be more of the world.  After looking at the Greek and doing some word study, let me paraphrase this text:
For the Word of the cross (Jesus is Logos, the Word) is crazy to those who depend on their own wisdom, the Word of the cross, what Jesus did, who he is - renders their wisdom void, it demolishes it.  But for those who surrender their wisdom, who soften their minds and hearts to the Word of the cross they are rescued and preserved out of their own thinking.  Because it's written that 'I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.'...through all of the wisdom, skills, aptitude and tact of the world G-d was not revealed, those things haven't made him known.  All that makes G-d known is G-d choosing to be known.  Knowledge is not enough.  The Word of the cross - Jesus - proclaimed delights G-d because Christ alone, his way, his being, his life, death and resurrection - Christ alone is enough. Not knowledge of him because none of those things make sense, but faith in him.  Faith in this upside-down kingdom where the King dies so his kingdom might live.  It was foolishness for Christ to die. It made no sense in the eyes of the world's wisest. For the Jews, Christ was a scandal.  He was not the conquering King they desired, that their wisdom told them to seek.  For the Greeks, none of it made sense.  But G-d welcomed all to the table who could see his wisdom and believe that his kingdom, his way, his being was better than anything their brains could wrap around.  The stupidity of G-d is greater than our deepest wisdom.  Even at our smartest and most skilled, the things of G-d are beyond us.
 So everything that I think I might know - and believe me a lot of it is good stuff - I could be absolutely wrong! Because that is what it means to live in the upside-down Kingdom of G-d.

ACTION:

May my all my knowledge, wisdom and skill be held loosely in my hand so that you, O Lord, my sift it and remove my foolishness from it.  May my spirit be open to your Kingdom more fully each and every moment.  May my understandings, beliefs and thoughts be rocked by your presence and your wisdom.  I want to live fully in this upside-down Kingdom, understanding that I probably will never fully understand but that I am willing trusting you as my King.

No comments:

Post a Comment