Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Waiting and giving thanks - Tuesday, March 10, 2015

SCRIPTURE READING:

     Psalm 107:1-3, 17-22
"Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever. Let the redeemed of the Lord say this -- those he redeemed from the hand of the foe, those he gathered from the lands, from east and west, from north and south. Some became fools through their rebellious ways and suffered affliction because of their iniquities. They loathed all food and drew near the gates of death. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he saved them form their distress. He sent forth his word and healed them; he rescued them from the grave. Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deed for men. Let them sacrifice thank offerings and tell of his works with songs of joy." 
THOUGHTS:

     I have a friend who has waited years and years for something she has really wanted.  In the waiting she has suffered pain and loss.  The weight she has carried in longing for this thing has been indescribable and often times unbearable.  She would tell you that she has never stopped crying out to the Lord for the desire of her heart.  There have been times of completely devastation that have caused her to question everything, but she has maintained her love for the Lord and sought out his unfailing love, trusting him.
     She is finally at a time in her life where this desire, this longing seems to be coming about. And she is  screaming from the rooftops the goodness of the Lord.  I have to say that I haven't struggled like she has with this specific thing, but I have been in the valley and I have waited long to see desires of my heart.  And I continue to wait for those things.  While waiting I want to give thanks to the Lord for his goodness.
     Giving thanks to the Lord involves our whole being. It involves acknowledging our helplessness and our brokenness and lifting his name high despite our circumstances.  He is good.  He is pleasant, beautiful, excellent, lovely, delightful, joyful, fruitful, precious, cheerful, kind and righteous.  He is good and his love never fails us.
     No matter what storms have found us or what problems we've created for ourselves, G-d is good.  When we are at the gates of death, he rescues and redeems.  He sends forth his word, speaking life, love and healing into the deepest parts of our souls and our world.  Even when we can't see the light, we can sing songs of praise and joy because he is faithful forever.
     What does it mean to you to say "G-d is good?" What words describe his faithfulness to you? How is he been faithful in your waiting?



ACTION:

     Lord, in the midst of my life, I cry out to you that I am broken and helpless.  I declare that even in my brokenness, Lord, you are good.  You are worthy of praise.  You have redeemed me, you continue to reconcile me and you draw me close to you.  You are good.  Today, I will find you in the middle of pain and loss of life. I will look for you there.  You are redeeming and rescuing your creation.  Help me to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment