Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Holding Tightly - Tuesday, March 31, 2015

SCRIPTURE READING:

     Acts 10:34-43
"Then Peter began to speak: 'I now realize how true it is that G-d does not show favoritism but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right.  You know the message G-d sent to the people of Israel, telling the good news of peace through Jesus Christ , who is Lord of all. You know what has happened throughout Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John preached -- how G-d anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because G-d was with him.  We are witnesses of everything he did in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They killed him by hanging him on a tree, but G-d raised him from the dead on the third day and caused him to be seen. He was not seen by all the people, but by witnesses whom   G-d had already chosen --by us who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead.  He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one whom G-d appointed as judge of the living and the dead. All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."  
THOUGHTS:

     Peter had learned a lot in his years following Jesus, but he hadn't learned it all.  Over my years of following Jesus, I've learned a lot, but I haven't learned it all and sometimes I feel as if everything I've thought I've learned maybe isn't right.  As people of faith we have so much to learn and relearn. Our faith calls to be open to transformation, which means we must be open to change and education.  I want to be a constant student and there's very little that I want to hold with a tight fist.  Peter shares alot of those things -- the good news of peace, Jesus' life, death and resurrection, his love for people, his thirst and drive for healing, his heart for goodness and forgiveness.
     I want to hold tightly to Jesus' love for humanity.  I want to hold tightly to his righteousness and goodness.  I want to hold tightly to his being judge - not me or you - but him.  I want to hold tightly to the forgiveness G-d extends to us having been dealt with 2000 years ago on the cross.
     This week is Holy Week.  We honor his suffering. We remembering the weight that he carried and we are to be forever transformed by the knowledge of the things we know and the things we are learning.

ACTION:

Today, I hold my knowledge in my hand and ask G-d to sift it, to purify it, to hone it towards his ways and will.  Lord, move in me to consider the weight of the world that rested on your shoulders - to lay down myself like you did, to hold tightly to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment